2016 fatalities on Weld County roads
January 7, 2017
1. Priscila Acosta, 10, of Longmont died Sunday, Jan. 3, after a car in which she was a passenger collided with another vehicle at the intersection of 37th Street and Two Rivers Parkway in Greeley.
2. Jeffrey Barker, 43, of Longmont died Friday, Jan. 13, in a crash near Colo. 52 and Weld County Road 3 in Erie.
3. Michelle McCoy, 43, of Sterling died Friday, Jan. 13, in a crash on Interstate 76 near Roggen, at milepost 55. She was the occupant of a van that was involved in a crash with a semi-truck and a tow truck. McCoy died at the scene of the crash.
4. Jorge Serrano, 29, of Greeley died Monday, Feb. 1, in a crash on U.S. 85, 6 miles south of the Wyoming border. Serrano was driving a Pontiac sedan and collided with a semitrailer-truck. The driver of the semi, Anthony Baca, 35, of Wyoming was not injured.
5. Niklaus Krause, 22, of Eaton was involved in a traffic crash Saturday, Feb. 13, near Weld 76 and Oak Avenue in Eaton. Krause was transported from the scene to North Colorado Medical Center, where he died on Feb. 17 as the result of his injuries.
6. Patty Ayala Martinez, 48, died Wednesday, March 2. She was struck by a 2007 Toyota Forerunner while walking east across North 8th Avenue at the intersection with H Street.
Recommended Stories For You
7. Jessie Janway Jr., 70, of Greeley died Saturday, April 9, when he lost control of his motorcycle at U.S. 34 Bypass and East 18th Street, just east of Greeley. The motorcycle went off the road, collided with a culvert and ended up in a pond. He was not wearing a helmet.
8. John Smith III of New Castle died Wednesday, April 13, in a crash at the intersection of Weld 8 and U.S. 85 near Fort Lupton. A semitrailer hauling industrial equipment pulled onto U.S. 85 and was struck by another semitrailer — driven by Smith — heading north on the highway.
9. Jacob Theiss, 21, of Longmont died Wednesday, April 27, in a two-vehicle crash on southbound U.S. 85, about a mile north of Gilcrest. Theiss was driving north on U.S 85 in a Geo Metro when his vehicle crossed into oncoming traffic and struck a 2007 GMC pickup truck. Theiss was taken to North Colorado Medical Center where he was pronounced dead in the emergency department.
10. James Huber, 31, of Colorado Springs died in the hospital Tuesday, May 3, after a May 2 head-on crash on Weld 49, more than 6 miles southeast of Greeley. Huber was driving north in a 1985 Ford F-350. When the truck accelerated through standing water, he lost control. Huber's vehicle spun out, crossing the road to the other side, where it collided head-on with a 1986 Dodge Ram.
11. Cruzito Cervantes, 19, of Greeley, died in a crash Friday, May 6. He was driving a 2000 Ford Taurus north on 1st Avenue at a high rate of speed between East 18th and 20th streets. Near East 20th Street, the Ford crossed over the center turn lane and into the southbound lane, where it clipped a pickup truck and collided head-on with a 2004 Jeep Cherokee driven by Amanda Salazar, 31, of Greeley.
12. James Smith, 55, of Loveland, died Sunday, May 8, in a single-vehicle rollover crash involving a 2003 Saab at milepost 137 on U.S. 34, about 10 miles northwest of Wiggins, or 25 miles southeast of Greeley.
13. Joshua Stevens, 27, of Longmont died Tuesday, May 16, after a May 15 crash. Stevens crashed on the west Interstate 25 Frontage Road, about a mile west of Firestone. Witnesses reported Stevens drove fast and in the wrong lane before he went through a three-beam barrier at the end of the frontage road. After Stevens went through the barrier, his car became briefly airborne and rolled several times.
14. Jose Delgado, 59, of Fort Lupton died Sunday, May 20, in a head-on crash with a semitrailer. Delgado was biking west on Weld County Road 18 — west of U.S. 85 near the South Platte River — when he crossed into oncoming traffic and crashed into semitrailer. Delgado died at the scene.
15. Esteban Moreno Jr., 39, of Evans died in a crash Thursday, June 1, at U.S. 85 and Weld County Road 32½ in Platteville. Officers on scene found a black Ford Ranger damaged beyond recognition and a green Subaru with some damage. Moreno, the Ranger's driver, lost control, and the Ford truck rolled. Moreno was declared dead at the scene. The Weld County Sheriff's Office believes it was road rage incident and an off-duty Ault police officer was arrested on suspicion of second-degree homicide.
16. Jamie L. Dodgin, 38, died in a crash Tuesday, June 6, at Weld roads 49 and 38, about 9 miles south of Kersey. The crash happened when the 1999 Chevy Cavalier Dodgin was driving crossed over to the wrong side of the road and struck the side of a 2009 Dodge flatbed pickup and the front of a flatbed trailer it was pulling.
17. Alexander Taylor, 31, of Greeley, died Wednesday, June 14, after he was struck June 13 by a vehicle on the U.S. 34 Bypass at 17th Avenue in Greeley. He was taken to North Colorado Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
18. Robert Romero, 22, of Evans died in a crash Thursday, June 15, on Colo. 257 and 37th Street in southwest Greeley. The motorcycle Romero was driving turned in front of an oncoming SUV.
19. George Bowlin, 72, of Keenesburg died in a crash Sunday, June 18, at I-76 and Weld County Road 4 in Lochbuie.
20. Javier Orona-Berumen, 47, of Greeley died in a head-on crash Monday, June 19, in Evans. A Chrysler 300 — driven by Orona-Berumen — crossed over the double yellow lines onto the wrong side of the road and crashed head-on into a Chevrolet Malibu. Orona-Berumen was pronounced dead on scene. The driver of the Malibu — 27-year-old Alicia Reddy — was taken to North Colorado Medical Center with minor injuries. A passenger in the Chrysler 300 — 34-year-old Lucio Valles-Rios — was taken to the hospital with critical injuries.
21. Thomas Evans, 21, of Fort Collins died Tuesday, June 20, following a sing-vehicle crash. A Ford F-150 heading south on I-25 crashed along the side of the road near milepost 296, about 4 miles south of the Wyoming border.
22. Mark Strassler, 55, of Westminster, died Thursday, June 22, following a two-vehicle crash about 5 miles west of Platteville, at Weld roads 13 and 34.
23. Luis Alberto Archuleta Lopez, 32, of Greeley died in a crash Saturday, July 1. Lopez was driving a Dodge Durango about 5 a.m. when he ran a stop sign at the intersection of Weld roads 4 and 27. He was broadsided by a southbound car and died instantly.
24. Shannon Dalton, 46, of Wiggins died Sunday, July 2, after a traffic crash near the intersection of Weld roads 20 and 93, which is about 10 miles southeast of Roggen.
25. June Schmidt, 75, of Firestone died after a crash Friday, July 21. Schmidt was traveling west in a sedan when her vehicle was stuck by multiple vehicles on Colo. 52 at the intersection with Cherry Street in Dacono. Schmidt initially survived the crash and was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital in Boulder County. She was pronounced dead later that day.
26. Felix Romero Jr., 41, of Windsor, died in a crash Friday, July 21. Romero was traveling northbound in his SUV when he lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle rolled and struck a tree. The crash occurred on Weld 19, north of Weld 72, in unincorporated Weld, less than a mile east of Windsor. Romero initially survived the crash and was taken to Medical Center of the Rockies, where he later died.
27. Anthony Kappes, 51, of Greeley, died Saturday, July 23, after a head-on collision at U.S. 85 and Weld County Road 70, less than a mile north of Lucerne. Kappes, driving a 2000 Chevy S10, was heading southbound in the northbound lanes of U.S. 85 and collided with a woman, who was driving a Mitsubishi Galant.
28. Arcelia Aguilar, 21, of Eaton was the driver of the Mitsubishi Galant in the above crash.
29. Calvin Hoff, 14, died in a crash Monday, Aug. 1, at Weld County roads 20 and 19, about 2 miles northeast of Firestone. The Chevy 1500 Silverado Hoff was a passenger in pulled out in front the semitruck at the intersection. Hoff was pronounced dead at the scene.
30. John Lutton II, 50, died Tuesday, Aug. 12, after being struck by a 2001 Jeep on the west I-25 frontage road, near Colo. 52 in Frederick. Lutton was a pedestrian.
31. Chance Flot, 18, died Thursday, Aug. 21, hours after losing control of the vehicle he was driving on Weld 54 near Weld County Road 15 as his vehicle crossed a set of railroad tracks about 3 miles northwest of Milliken.
32. Ralph Bogart, 76, of Greeley, died Tuesday, Aug. 26, after a crash on Aug. 25. He was headed west on 20th Street on a 2014 Honda motorcycle and collided with a red 2010 Dodge Ram pickup near 28th Avenue in Greeley when his motorcycle drifted into an outside lane and collided with a westbound truck. Bogart initially survived the crash and was taken by ambulance to North Colorado Medical Center.
33. Charles Quigley, 29, Cheyenne, Wyo., died Tuesday, Aug. 26, after being struck while working in a construction zone at Colo. 119 and Weld County Road 5 in Firestone. He was directing traffic and was struck by a truck as it passed him. He initially survived the collision and was taken to Longmont United Hospital, where he later died.
34. Gulsamah Isaqmiah, 32, of Greeley died Sunday, Sept. 4, of injuries she received from an Aug. 16 crash. She was the passenger in a southbound vehicle, traveling on U.S. 85 near Weld 36, about a mile north of Platteville. The driver lost control of the vehicle and it rolled. Isaqmiah was able to return home after the crash. On Sept. 4, she was admitted to the North Colorado Medical Center emergency room, where she died of injuries related to the crash.
35. Jared Carlson, 27, of Thornton died Monday, Sept. 5, in a single-vehicle rollover crash on I-76, about a mile east of Keenesburg. Victoria Lopez, 25, of Thornton was driving west on I-76, Carlson, with two children — a 5-year-old girl and a 1-year-old boy — as passengers. The rear left tire of their 2001 Kia Sportage ruptured, causing the car to swerve into the highway's center median. The car began to roll, coming to rest on its wheels in highway's median.
36. Lloyd Rosa Windbigler, 66, of Loveland died Monday, Sept. 12, after his truck collided with a train near the intersection of U.S. 85 and Weld 30, just outside Platteville.
37. Robert Luna, 66, of Wiggins died in crash Wednesday, Sept. 21, 6 miles southwest of New Raymer.
38. Joseph Cannon, 26, died Thursday, Sept. 22, in a motorcycle crash on U.S. 34 and Weld 13, about 2 miles west of Greeley.
39. Susan L. Gibbs, 49, of Arvada died in a crash Tuesday, Sept. 27. Gibbs was driving her motorcycle south on U.S. 85 when she lost control of the motorcycle and crashed near Weld 52 in Fort Lupton.
40. Keith Bergsrud, 57, of Evans died Thursday, Oct. 6, after driving off the road and colliding with a tree at the intersection of Eastman Park Drive and Howard Smith Avenue in Windsor. Weld County Coroner's Office officials later determined Bergsrud's death was a suicide.
41. Adan Montes, 61, of Fort Lupton died in a crash Friday, Oct. 7. He was the passenger in a vehicle being driven by his wife, which was headed south on Weld 27 when it struck another vehicle at the intersection with Weld 6 in Brighton.
42. Derek Prescott, 17, of Kersey died in a single-vehicle crash Saturday, Oct. 8. Prescott's truck collided with a saddled horse on U.S. 34, near it's intersection with Weld County Road 45, just west of Kersey.
43. Randy Keyes, 62, of Platteville, died in a crash Thursday, Oct. 13. Keyes lost control of his motorcycle while traveling south on U.S. 85 near Weld 38 in Platteville. He went down on the highway and was pronounced dead at the scene.
44. Gary Matzen, 65, of Longmont died in a crash Friday, Oct. 14. The SUV Matzen was driving collided with another SUV at the intersection of Colorado Boulevard (Weld 13) and Summit Boulevard in Dacono.
46.Theodore Hengstenberg, 43, of Longmont died in a crash Tuesday, Oct. 17. The pickup he was driving swerved out of its lane into oncoming traffic on Colo. 66 and Weld County Road 7.5 near Mead.
47. Kirk Houston, 49, of Adams County died in a crash Thursday, Oct. 20. Houston was driving in the 2100 block of Weld 45 in Hudson when he collided head-on with another vehicle.
48. Jason Torres, 29, of Texas died in a crash Tuesday, Oct. 25. He was stopped at a construction site on Weld 49, about 5 miles northwest Keenesburg, when he was struck by another vehicle.
49. Gorsel Unal, 56, of Mead died in a crash Monday, Nov. 14. Unal rear-ended a box truck when failing to slow for another crash, near milepost 245 on I-25, just east of Mead.
50. Carol McCarthy, 68, of Berthoud died in a crash Wednesday, Nov. 16. The crash happened in the area of Kodak Drive and Colo. 257 in Windsor, when McCarthy, who was stopped at a crosswalk, was hit from behind by another vehicle. The impact forced McCarthy's car into the southbound lane, where her vehicle was hit by another car before, rolling into a ditch on the west side of the highway. She was taken to the Medical Center of the Rockies, where she died.
50. Elodia Espinosa, 72, of Greeley died after a crash Thursday, Nov. 17. A driver headed west on U.S. 34 in Greeley lost control on ice and crossed the median into eastbound traffic, colliding with another car. Espinosa was a passenger in the eastbound car. She initially survived the crash, but died of her injuries later that night.
51. James Randall, 33, of Milliken died in a crash Saturday, Nov. 19. The crash happened on Colo. 257, between Weld roads 52 and 54, about 12 miles southwest of Greeley.
52. Becky LaPorta, 47, of Greeley died in a crash Monday, Nov. 21. It occurred in the 5200 block of 1st Street in Greeley. Police believe LaPorta suffered a medical problem while driving, which likely killed her and caused her to lose control of the Hyundai she was driving.
53. Kyle Nackos, 19, of Severance died in a crash on I-25, near the Erie/Dacono exit. The crash happened when a 2004 Jeep was headed south in the northbound lanes of the interstate and collided head-on with the Subaru driven by a 16-year-old Windsor boy. The Windsor boy suffered life-threatening injuries and the driver of the Jeep, Alex Rodriguez, 25, of Fort Lupton suffered moderated injuries. They were both taken to Good Samaritan Medical Center in Lafayette.
54. Sandi Lewis, 33, of Missouri died of injuries Nov. 29 she received in a crash on Nov. 19. James Randall died in the same crash.
55. Ty Hafley, 24, of Gill, died in a crash Thursday, Dec. 15. It was a rollover crash at the intersection of Weld roads 60.5 and 55, about 10 miles west of Greeley.
56. Isabel Leet, 16, of Gill, died in a crash Friday, Dec. 23. The crash happened near the intersection of Colo. 52 and Weld 83, about 40 miles southeast of Greeley.
57. Robert Brown, 86, died Friday, Dec. 30, after a crash on Monday, Dec. 26. The vehicle Brown was driving struck a barrier around an oil and gas site near Weld roads 54 and 47, in the Kersey area. Brown survived the crash and died in hospice.