Staff reports

Back to: News
September 1, 2012
Follow News

Windsor home damaged in fire

A Windsor family was out of their home Saturday night after a fire damaged the roof, kitchen and garage.

The fire began about 4:40 p.m. at 1229 Teakwood Court in Windsor. When firefighters arrived, there were flames showing from the back and east side of the home. Firefighters entered the home and determined they were facing an attic fire. They cut holes in the roof to access the attic and extinguished the fire in about 10 minutes, Windsor Severance Fire Rescue spokesman Todd Vess said.

The fire began after the homeowner — who had been using a meat smoker — disposed of the coals in the proper container in the backyard cool, about a half hour before the fire began. However, several wind gusts blew the coals into the vinyl siding on the home and caught it on fire, which spread into the eaves and then into the attic.

“It spread pretty quick,” Vess said. “That vinyl burns pretty hot and fast.”

The family was at home when the fire began, but were able to get out of the home uninjured.

Vess said he did not have an estimate of the cost of damages, however, the family would not be able to live in the home until it was repaired. The Red Cross was called in to provide assistance.

Eighteen firefighters and six fire trucks were on scene. Loveland Fire/Rescue provided mutual aid, and two firefighters were treated by paramedics on scene for dehydration and released, Vess said.


Explore Related Articles

My Windsor Now Updated Sep 1, 2012 07:21PM Published Sep 7, 2012 12:43PM Copyright 2012 My Windsor Now. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.