Man faces dozens of charges in string of February Windsor car break-ins | MyWindsorNow.com

Man faces dozens of charges in string of February Windsor car break-ins

Staff reports

Johnson

The Weld County District Attorney has charged a man in connection with a string of vehicle break-ins that hit a quiet Windsor neighborhood earlier this year.

Jason Johnson, 26, was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of committing multiple burglaries and trespassing in February.

The series of break-ins were first reported to police the night of Feb. 7, according to an arrest affidavit.

Multiple residents around the intersection of 6th and Walnut streets reported missing items at the time, including wallets with drivers licenses and credit cards which were apparently later used to rent video games and movies from Redbox kiosks in the region.

Numerous other residents notified police that it appeared someone had rummaged through their vehicles or garages but did not immediately see anything missing, the affidavit states.

The arrest was not Johnson's first brush with the law as he was identified as a suspect in a series of other recent events in the area, according to the affidavit.

Recommended Stories For You

During an interview with police, Johnson admitted to using methamphetamine and said he only broke into vehicles when he was "tweaked out."

"I was all over that neighborhood," he told police.

Johnson was arrested in 2008 on suspicion of carrying a loaded gun through a Windsor neighborhood.

After additional information was gathered, the man was linked to multiple other thefts and two reports of stolen vehicles in the area, The Tribune reported previously.

Johnson now faces 37 total charges including 10 counts of second-degree burglary, 19 counts of auto trespass, seven counts of theft of less than $500 and one count of criminal mischief, according to the Weld District Attorney's office.

He is being held on $40,000 bond and his first court appearance is set for Tuesday.

Go back to article