Paths to the Present: Doctor Sabin
March 4, 2017
People matter. Every person who has lived in Windsor, both past and present, has the opportunity to make the community better through service, participation and stewardship.
One of Windsor's most prominent community members was Doctor Clarence Sabin (1896-1990). The mention of his name brings smiles to those who were patients, friends and neighbors. Those who did not know him likely have heard of his compassion, empathy and kindness, both within his practice and the community.
Arriving in Windsor in 1932, Dr. Sabin was one of the longest-serving physicians in Windsor.
He used humor to ease the anxiety of his patients and particularly enjoyed working with children. During his years of service, Sabin delivered 1,085 babies and hung photographs of the infants in his office.
His compassion and understanding during Windsor's more challenging times made it possible for those seeking medical attention to receive care. Food often was used as a form of payment, and he once received half a lamb for his services.
Outside his medical practice, Sabin had an active role in the Windsor community. He served on the town council, was a charter member of the Lions Club — serving for 43 years — and was the overseeing physician for the Windsor football team, never missing a game. (Sabin brought his shotgun to every game and used it to indicate the end of each quarter.)
In honor of his dedicated service to Windsor athletics and the community, the Windsor High School stadium (now the Middle School) was named after Sabin, and is known as C.W. Sabin Field.
— Caitlin Heusser is the museum curator for the town of Windsor.