Woman who falsely accused Windsor man of kidnapping, sex assault appears in Weld court
January 30, 2014
The court case involving a woman who last year falsely accused a Windsor man of luring her to the Safeway parking lot along Main Street, kidnapping her at knife point and sexually assaulting her, will last for at least another two months.
A judge on Wednesday granted Katherine Bennett, 20, a two-month continuance so her attorney can further evaluate the evidence in the case, including a number of unspecified medical records.
The judge also allowed Bennett, who appeared on bond, to return to Illinois so she can be with her family and continue an undisclosed form of therapy.
Bennett, flanked by family and her attorney, declined to comment about the case outside of the courtroom.
Fort Collins authorities arrested Bennett on Dec. 10 regarding a Windsor police warrant. The woman told officers that Dustin Toth had kidnapped her from the Windsor Safeway parking lot in November, held her at knife point, took her to his home and raped her before agreeing to let her go the following morning.
Those allegations were proven untrue, according to an arrest affidavit. As a result of the false statements, Toth was arrested and jailed and has suffered great personal hardship and embarrassment, police said.
Recommended Stories For You
Toth, who has been cleared of any wrongdoing, previously said he planned on suing Bennett and added that he lost his job at OtterBox in Fort Collins as a result of the allegations.
Bennett previously asked for her $20,000 bond to be reduced and said she had no prior criminal history or even a speeding ticket. A judge denied that request and she has since paid the bond.
Bennett is charged with attempting to influence a public servant. She remains free on bond, and her next court appearance is scheduled for March 28.