Firefighters suspect improper disposal of cigarette butt caused Windsor structure fire
March 20, 2018
WINDSOR — Firefighters at Windsor Severance Fire Rescue extinguished a structure fire Tuesday afternoon in the 700 block of 3rd Street.
According to Windsor Severance Fire Rescue spokesman Todd Vess, the siding of a storage building caught fire about 2:25 p.m. Tuesday. Vess said it was likely caused when a cigarette butt was put out near a wheel chair and other items stored on the side of the building, igniting the items and then spreading to the building's siding. No one was injured, and nothing got inside the building, Vess said.
Mountain View Elementary School, located south of the building, had a pick-up time around the time firefighters had to close 3rd Street north of the school for mop-up work after the fire, Vess said. The fire department contacted the school district to route traffic away from the closure.